Thursday, November 09, 2006

Aarrghhhh Microsoft!

I have been installing Novell OES, with a few glitches thrown in on the way (which will be the subject of future articles) when I came across another problem I just did not need!

There I am, everything just about tickety boo, when one machine suddenly can log on to the network for toffee.

Obviously a problem with the Novell client for NetWare or a server issue. maybe the lack of slp or similar.

Well, after a lot of fiddling in the direction the error pointed I then noticed that once logged on to the work station only option, the machine would just sit there not bringing up the desktop until I pressed ALT + CTRL + DEL when the desktop would appear. It did not matter how long I left it or didn't.

Odd.

So then I tried to log on to NetWare. Well I got it to authenticate but the logon script just hung. Hmm...

Opened task manager and killed some processes. (iTunes for example). Nothing. I then stopped the print spooler, spoolsv.exe. It sprang into life!

Printing still worked because the spooler would restart and then behave although it then took up 10MB of ram (this just to send jibs to printers, and when it is doing NOTHING).

Very irritating.

Bad Microsoft. Very bad Microsoft.

Still I have a work around, now i just have to fix the spooler process. I looked at this article, but it's advice did not seem to fit. I will look further in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home